Tuesday 17 April 2012

Beer Review #1: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Just an overview of how I'm going to review these beers, I'm going to follow a pretty standard format for this. First I'll talk about the look of the beer (L), the smell of it (S), the taste of it (T) and then the mouthfeel (M). So nothing revolutionary, but it's quite familiar. I'll then give the beer a mark out of ten for each of these categories, as well as an overall mark. Finally, I'll double the score to get a simple /100 score. Also, please not that the first few reviews will be done from my extensive notes, while eventually I will be doing the reviews 'live'. Cheers!


This beer is a Vienna Lager, brewed by the Boston Beer Company in Boston, MA.

It's got 4.9% ABV, so it's gonna be nice and light. I've always seen this around in the supermarkets, but a sixpack costs around €11 so I bought this guy on his own!

I drank it from the bottle, but the notes were taken with a pour into a small tumbler.

L: Pours a deep amber with orange hues, an okay one finger head that quickly dissipate, we're talking a minute or two, light carbonation in the glass and little or no lacing. Not bad. 7/10

S: In the nose I'm getting toffee straight away, a nice malty smell. It's also got some berries and fruitiness to it that quite surprised me. Overall, there's a really good almost 'grainy' type smell, with a good malty backbone. This smells good, what a lager should smell like to me. 8/10

T: That woody, graininess is coming back to me here - nice bready biscuity malt flavours on the front with a great sweet finish of caramel or toffee, and a slight hint of fruit in the middle. Great, much more complex than I was expecting, but once again this is a nice malty beer. 8/10

M: Medium carbonation, medium bodied - not watery, which I can't stand in a beer. Slightly fizzy on the tongue. Very drinkable and enjoyable though. 8/10

The verdict: Really great lager. This is probably what I'll head for the next time I have 3 or 4 beers watching a game or having a barbeque are something, and I don't mean to say that this is a 'lawnmower beer'. It's just really enjoyable, tasty and goes down so easy that in any situation where I'd drink a few beers in a night, I think I'd like this to be it. 8/10

The Drunken Destrier score: 78/100




No comments:

Post a Comment