Wednesday 18 April 2012

Beer Review #12: San Miguel Especial

Really, I don't know why. I could tell by looking into the bottle that I was staring disappointment in it's piss coloured face. At €1 per bottle, it was just one to tick off the list. This is a Spanish beer, for what it's worth. There's a Spanish company and a Filipino company both making beer called San Miguel, I'm almost positive this is the former... Maybe it's the same thing. Who knows? Moreover, who cares? Drank this one from the bottle, but I smelled and tasted it from a tumbler first.

Lager at 5.4%

L: Pours a clear pale straw colour. Like piss, but then again that's not really derogatory because a lot of good beer looks like piss. Thin film of head, with no lacing. The first exactly average mark I think I've given. 5/10

S: Hints of malt on the nose, strong metallic smell. It's slightly hoppy, and there's a definite smell of vegetables. Like corn or something... 5/10

T: Light malt and hints of hoppiness, but really overpowered by that vegetable taste. Just like the smell really. Slightly malty finish. I'll give this a bit of a mark up because ice cold on a hot day, it does hit the spot. Or at least it gently pokes at the spot. 6.5/10

M: Thin and watery, all the way. That makes it go down easy and makes it perfect for ice cold beer on hot days. I think I'd enjoy this more in Spain. 6/10

The verdict: Meh. Not much to say about this beer. I'll give it one thing though, I'd pick this over Carling or Carlsberg any day. 6/10

The Drunken Destrier score: 57/100



No comments:

Post a Comment