Wednesday 18 April 2012

Beer Review #17: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Apparently, this is the oldest brewery in the world. Not bad. I first came across this on my quest for Hefeweizens that was started by my discovery of Paulaner. Little did I know back then that both of those beers can be considered giants in their field. Had this in my weizen glass.

Hefeweizen at 5.4% ABV

L: Pours a cloudy gold, with a darker orange hue in parts. A 3 finger foamy head leaves decent lacing, and the carbonation is good. 8/10

S: Fruity, straight away. Citrus fruits strong here. Hints of that banana smell too. Spice and clove are there, as is the nice grassy smell you commonly get from these. Finally, there's a hint of that bubblegum smell that I just love to get in beer. 8/10

T: Once again, fruity. It's got sweet, almost acidic citrus on the front, with a nice banana finish. Clove is hinted at too, and all the way through there's a great bready quality that you get from the wheat. It's delicious and refreshing. 9/10

M: Light bodied, but not watery. It's ridiculously drinkable, extremely refreshing and very enjoyable. 8/10

The verdict: Overall this is a great Hefeweizen. I'll be trying it again, many times I suspect, so I'll keep reviewing it, but at the moment I'm not sure it's the best, as I've often heard. It's a matter of taste of course, and I can certainly understand why this is held in such high regard, but at €2.50 a bottle I have to ask am I going to go for this or a Duvel? Or a London Pride? Or a Piraat? Once again, all a question of taste. Anyway, great beer. 8/10

The Drunken Destrier score: 82/100

No comments:

Post a Comment