Friday 20 April 2012

Beer Review #21: Erdinger Urweisse

Let's be frank: Erdinger is a bit shit. I want to like it, but I just can't justify buying a pint or a bottle when there are such better weissbiers out there for cheaper. I don't really view Erdinger with the same kind of snobbery that I would say, Coors or something, but it really is the least appealing and least geniune of the most popular weissbiers. Or at least that's just how I feel about their flagship hefe. On the other hand, their dunkles-weissbier is supposedly very impressive and this particular brew, the Urweisse, also comes with a certain amount of acclaim. It is apparently a return to their older weissbier recipe, and is a big step up from their normal hefe. I wonder is it really any good?

Hefeweizen at 4.9%

L: Pours a hazy orange/amber colour, with a massive off-white head and tons of carbonation racing up the side of the glass. Looks good, I always prefer a hefe that's more orange than yellow. 8/10

S: Lots of banana, most obvious of any weissebier in my memory in fact. Citrus fruits are strongly represented too, peach is there, and there are definitely notes of spice or clove. Smells really refreshing, very summery. 8/10

T: Very fruity with the citrus and banana again. Not getting any peach though, like in the nose. Spice and clove again, a nice bready maltiness that's just suggested, and a slightly floral finish. Strangely, I think I get a light hint of caramel right at the front... Good, tasty and refreshing, but nothing special. 7/10

M: Very light and drinkable, goes down really well with moderate carbonation. Good session beer. 7/10

The verdict: Well, it really is better than the original Erdinger, by far. But for me, it's not going to blow anyone away. This is well above average and I think deserves a 7/10

The Drunken Destrier score: 74/100

No comments:

Post a Comment