Tuesday 17 April 2012

Beer Review #4: Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Beer

I picked this up as part of a 4 for €10 deal in the Abbot's Ale House. I had seen it advertised loads and always wondered what it tasted like, because I love non-alcoholic ginger beer. This is brewed by Crabbie's of Leith (I think), in Scotland. I took a gamble, getting this instead of one of the many great ales in the shop, so let's see how it went.

Alcoholic Ginger Beer at 4% ABV. Good, light summer drink.

L: This poured a golden amber with a bubbly 2-finger head that dissipates to a film in no time. It's quite carbonated - like a soft drink - and leaves very little lacing. It's crystal clear. Looks more like a soft drink than a beer, but that's to be expected so it won't lose marks for that. 6.5/10

S: Need I say, ginger? Very strong, with an accompanying medicinal smell that probably comes from the ginger too. It's quite spicy, it's got a hint of nutiness and a generous fruity bouquet. Smells sweet and to be honest, quite good! Definitely one for the garden so far. 7/10

T: Once again, ginger dominates the front. Spicy somewhere in the middle too. Really it's very difficult to pull the flavours apart because there is an overpowering sweetness, brought by the fruit. It kind of reminds me of the Strawberry and Lime Kopparberg cider, in that the taste isn't terrible, but it's so sickly sweet it's impossible to finish. Disappointing. 4/10

M: Very very fizzy on the tongue, medium bodied? Maybe? It's like a soft drink. Take from that what you will. 6/10

The verdict: Probably an ok (or even better) ginger beer, but this wasn't at all my thing. I had it ice cold, but without ice or a slice of fruit. For this reason I'll try it again in the summer, ice cold and with cubes of ice, but I can't abide by the slice of lemon. 5/10

The Drunken Destrier score: 57/100

No comments:

Post a Comment