Wednesday 18 April 2012

Beer Review #9: Well's Bombardier

The third beer from the 4 for €10 deal also had a hefty reputation, as far as I gathered. Brewed by Wells and Young's in Bedford, England, this is the brewery's flagship beer I think, and it's billed as the 'drink or England'. That's a pretty hefty billing.

Bitter at 5.2% ABV

L: Pours a crystal clear copper colour with decent carbonation and an off-white one finger head. Looks like a standard bitter, and I mean that in a good way. Proper British ale this. 7/10

S: I got a grass-toned hoppiness, with a bit of spice and subtle notes of toffee. There is certainly a rich chocolatey character to the aroma. 7/10

T: Ahhhh yes, toffee and chocolate malt right at the front with a slight fruitiness following up. Spice notes alto present, and there's a lovely malty, bready finish. 8/10

M: Light-bodied and thin, like the Spitfire. It's got medium carbonation and fair drinkability, but it's just not great on the mouth. Definitely the low point of the beer for me. 5/10

The verdict: Not a bad beer at all, but not at all remarkable either. That said, I don't remove marks for things that aren't there, rather I award marks for things that are there, and this beer has some great qualities. The mouthfeel was too watery and thin for me but I think that might just be my own personal preference. Maybe people like that kind of thin mouthfeel, I don't know. Let me know what you thought cause I'm still interested in this beer. 6/10

The Drunken Destrier score: 66/100

No comments:

Post a Comment