Sunday 26 August 2012

#74: Sally Brown

The second of the Italian craft beers that I was gifted for my birthday last month is Sally Brown, a sweet stout, also from Birrificio del Ducato. The imperial stout Verdi was good enough to spark my interest in the range, so I was looking forward to their standard aul' dry stout.

Sally Brown pours pitch black with a bubbly off-white head. I realise it's hard to make that out in the darkness of the picture, but you can take my word for it that that was pretty much how it looked in the glass. On the nose I got hints of smoke and light roasted malts, with a sharp fizzy sweetness to it that reminded me of the Porterhouse Oyster Stout. The taste has pretty much everything the aroma does, albeit with a touch of chocolate malt somewhere in the middle. The body's pretty light and easy-going.

Overall it's not a bad beer, but not great either. Certainly not worth the price I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment