Friday 8 March 2013

#129: Straffe Hendrik Tripel

It's been a while since I've really enjoyed a tripel, so I decided to give this one a try a few days go. I've already had the quadrupel in this range, something I vaguely remember to be enjoyable but average.

Straffe Hendrik Tripel pours a hazy orange colour with a small cap of white foam. If it wasn't for the aroma (and small head) you'd think it was a hefeweizen. This is because Straffe Hendrik's tripel smells exactly as you'd expect a tripel to smell. It's got light malty sweetness playing off Belgian spice to produce a nice yet understated nose, before the taste amplifies everything. It's light and refreshing despite it's 9% ABV, hides some citrus fruit and orange peel in it's wheaty body, revisits those peppery, spicy notes from the aroma and finishes with a candy-like, syrupy sweetness that's as mellow as everything else in the beer.

There's nothing here that would offend or excite the seasoned beer drinker, but I must say it makes for one of the easiest-drinking tripels I've ever had.
It's enjoyable and satisfies a Belgian beer itch.
For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment