Friday 27 December 2013

#201: Great Divide Belgian Style Yeti

I bought this about a year and a half ago in the Abbot's and considering the BBE was up on October of last year, I'm guessing the bottle was a bit old at that stage already. Being an imperial stout of 9.5%, I wasn't too concerned with spoilage.

And I needn't have been. Great Divide's Belgian Style Yeti pours black as night with an off-white, almost brown head. The aroma is amazing. If I described it as smelling purple, would that make sense? Plums, forest fruits, berries and blackcurrants make for a surprisingly fresh and fleshy fruit aroma from the beginning, before it warms to jam and dark chocolate mousse and plum pudding. This is one of those rare beers that demands serious attention from the nose before you even consider taking a sip. The palate matches the beauty of the aroma, delivering rum-soaked fruit, coffee beans, vanilla and sugary chocolate malts all atop a thick and oily body. 

This is an exceptional imperial stout. Rich and indulgent, one that I hoped would never end. 
Unfortunately it did, but not before elbowing its way into my Golden Pints. If you see a bottle of this around and you're a fan of big imperial stouts, don't hesitate to pick it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment