Thursday 13 February 2014

#211: Cool as Eis

Another week+ break from blogging. I don't want to be the blogger who only posts once a week - my content simply isn't worth it - but college, work and a commission are keeping me pretty busy. In fact I'll be doing one of those things right now, regardless of when now is for you. 

I wasn't doing any of those things when I decided to venture once again into my winter beer cupboard, which I of course procured in the summer. This time my eager hand retrieved an Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock, a freeze-distilled version of the already fantastic Aventinus.

Like its former self, it pours a murky brown with a gorgeous sweet banana and brown sugar nose. Mellow toffee malts and a hint of spice are framed by the slight sourness of overripe fruit. The palate gets a dollop of marzipan to start with, among other sugary flavours of banana and chocolate, with the 12% alcohol showing some heat at the finish. 

This is positively, undeniably delicious.

But.

For roughly the same price you can get yourself 500ml of the 8.2% Aventinus. Is it better? I don't know. Which would I buy? I don't know. That's the problem, and the only solution is to buy both. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment